“My co-op at Stanley has furthered my numazu-color.comcation and experience.”
Alumnus, SSU Plastics Engineering Technology
Summer 2017 Intern
Stanley Electric U.S. Co., Inc.
2020欧洲杯首页 London, Ohio
We connect SSU students with the regional business community.
2020欧洲杯首页We are partnering with our regional businesses and organizations to increase internship and co-op opportunities for our students. This allows our students to apply and extend what they have learned at Shawnee State to gain real-world experience for their resumes. Consequently, they receive a well balanced education that prepares them for the workplace and introduces them to occupations and work places that otherwise might not have been considered as career options.
What is an internship?
2020欧洲杯首页An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. [Source: National Association of Colleges and Employers]
What is a co-op?
Cooperative education (co-op) provides students with multiple periods of work in which the work is related to the student's major or career goal. The typical program plan is for students to alternate terms of full-time classroom study with terms of full-time, discipline-related employment. Since program participation involves multiple work terms, the typical participant will work three or four work terms, thus gaining a year or more of career-related work experience before graduation. Virtually all co-op positions are paid and the vast majority involves some form of academic credits. [Source: National Association of Colleges and Employers]
Co-op vs. internship: What's the difference?
Read an article on by Debra Barrick, Director, Office of Academic Internships, Cooperative Education and Service Learning, Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne.
A "Quick Start" Guide to Starting and Growing a Co-op or Internship Program
View this guide on Best Practices as an Employer (PDF) which is based on independent research conducted by Aaron Bradley and Cindy Damschroder. They are faculty members at the University of Cincinnati.
How can my company provide an internship or co-op opportunity for a student at Shawnee State University?
- Download Shawnee State University's "Internship Programs: A Guide for Employers (PDF)."
- Complete and submit our online Internship Request Form, or post your own jobs and/or internships by creating your account on . You can also use this network to search for qualified students, register for career fairs and other events, and so much more. Email us at email@example.com for the promotion code needed to connect with Shawnee State University or call 740-351-3322.
- Contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call Angie Duduit, Director of Career Services & Workforce Development, at 740-351-3322.
- Should I pay my intern? Robert Shindell, Ph.D., discusses
- See more internship resources.